Offer a gift of comfort and beauty to a family suffering from loss.
A gift to your family, sparing them hard decisions at an emotional time.
It is not always possible to pay respects in person, so we hope that this small token will help.
Riley Mortuary, Inc. is proud of its over 100 years of continuous service to Amsterdam and the surrounding area. That service began in 1873 when Mr. George Brown founded the funeral business at 9 - 11 Church Street in Amsterdam. In 1886, the business was sold to William H. Turner & John J. Cregg who continued at that location until 1915 under the name of Turner & Cregg. Upon Mr. Turner's death, Mr Cregg became the sole owner and took on Mr. George E. Ouderkirk, Jr. as manager.
In 1921, the business was purchased by Mr. Ouderkirk and Arthur F. Riley and operated as the Ouderkirk and Riley Funeral Home at 28 - 30 Grove Street until 1936 when Mr. Riley bought out Mr. Ouderkirk's portion of the business. Mr. Riley than continued the business with his sons, Joseph M. Riley Sr. and George G. Riley. In 1953, after serving his country in the U.S. Army in Korea. Mr. Joseph M. Riley Jr. joined his father and uncle in the business and in 1957 they relocated the funeral home to its present location at 110 Division Street. Joseph M. Riley Jr. assumed management of the business in 1983 and remained in that position until his death in 2002.
The early tradition of the Riley Mortuary, Inc. continues today with the fourth generation of the Riley family operating the family - owned funeral home. It is currently operated by Joseph M. Riley III, Frank H. Riley, Patrick M. Riley and Timothy J. Riley